The Pyrenean Ibex is the first ever species to become extinct twice.
Amazing Facts About the Pyrenean Ibex
- The Pyrenean Ibex became extinct very recently in 2000.
- They were very abundant with a population of 50,000 but this dropped to about 100 in the 1990s.
- Scientists cloned a Pyrenean Ibex, making it the first species to become no longer extinct, but the baby died shortly after birth due to a lung problem.
- The Pyrenean Ibex was one of 4 sub-species of Ibex.
- Extinction probably due to disease and poaching.
Picture Credit: Allan Psicobyte
Find more animals like this
- Type: Mammal
- Size: 12" (30cm)
- Weight 176 lb (80kg)
- Diet: Herbivore
- IUCN: Extinct