Making up 13% of all spider species globally, jumping spiders are known to be very curious and will leap on a human’s hand if placed in front of them – scary or cool, you decide!
Amazing Facts About the Jumping Spider
- There are over 5000 species of jumping spider – this makes them the most numerous of species in the spider family.
- They can be found all over the world and thrive in various types of habitat, from mountainous regions to deserts.
- They do not catch their prey using webs like many spiders – but instead ambush them by leaping on top of them.
- They have 4 pairs of eyes which allows them to focus on insects from about 20cm away – this way they can distinguish between prey and danger.
- The hair on their legs helps them walk across very smooth surfaces like glass more easily.
- They can jump about 50 times their body length!
Picture Credit: Lukas Jonaitis (Wiki Commons)
Find more animals like this
- Type: Arachnid
- Diet: Insectivore
- Size: 1 - 25mm
- Scientific Name: Salticidae