Most humans love to share their lives with animals, and in some countries more households have a companion animal than have a child.
Amazing Facts About the Human
- Like most other primates, humans are highly social creatures, and have a range of methods for communicating with each other, such as vocalisations and the use of symbols.
- Humans are often categorised by race or ethnicity, however archaeological and genetic research suggests that all modern humans share the same ancestors from East Africa.
- Today there are estimated to be over 6.8 billion humans living on earth. The global population is growing every year and there are large populations on every continent except Antarctica.
- Humans are omnivorous, capable of consuming plant or animal matter. However many individuals have chosen for ethical reasons to avoid eating animals or animal products due to the suffering of animals in farming practices. In 2016 in the UK 1.05% of the population are estimated to be vegan (avoiding all animal produce). Other humans choose to select only animal products from animals farmed in higher welfare systems.
- Most humans love watching and interacting with other animals. People who share their lives with companion animals have been shown to have lower cholesterol, blood pressure and stress levels, and also tend to have improved mental health. Many individuals with disabilities, illnesses, and mental issues are known to benefit psychologically from interacting with animals, and animal-assisted therapy is becoming increasingly common.
- Research has shown that there is a strong link between human violence towards animals and violence towards other humans. Social services and governments have also recognised the link with incidences of animal abuse among children often leading to future incidences of voilence against other humans.
- Humans have looked on enviously at other species’ capabilities for thousands of years, tirelessly trying to figure out ways to imitate them. While great advancements and achievements have been made, for example aeroplanes and underwater diving equipment, most people still watch enviously as birds soar through the sky and dolphins glide through the water.
- Out of the whole animal kingdom, the relationship between humans and dogs is undoubtedly one of the most special. Dogs and humans have co-evolved for over 12,000 years with both humans influencing the evolution of dogs and dogs influencing the evolution of humans.
- Most humans love to share their lives with animals, and in some countries more households have a companion animal than have a child.
- Humans have a strong desire to understand and shape their environments. However unfortunately greed often results in people taking more from their environment than it can sustain, which leads to environmental degradation. This has led to many environmental disasters and numerous species going extinct. Humans do however have the ability to improve environments providing enough people work together for the common good.
Find more animals like this
- Type: Mammal
- Diet: Omnivore, vegetarian or vegan (depending on individual)
- Lifespan: Average global around 67, but significant variation between countries
- Size: Average 160-170cm
- Weight: Usually 65-85 kg
- Habitat: Extremely varied, however most live in built-up towns and cities
- Range: Global
- Scientific name: Homo sapiens